Results > 24th-25th April (Easter Weekend) - Cadwell Park

Justin Haler Memorial Trophy races


The Justin Haler Trophy for 1 Litre Formula Three Cars

Cadwell Park April 24th & 25th 2011

The inaugural Justin Haler Trophy was the first stand alone race for the ‘screamers’ to be held in the UK since 1970; the HSCC had attracted twenty three entries, of whom twenty two arrived, sadly long time F3 stalwart David Pullen’s Brabham was the non arrival.

In addition to the two Justin Haler races, the Cubicle Centre Ltd supported Classic Racing Cars were also running two races, so there was no shortage of track time for the more energetic drivers.

F3 qualifying took place in sunny if breezy conditions and saw Nigel Bancroft a second clear of a slightly subdued David Methley followed by circuit debutant Derossi. Bankhurst, Tizzard, McMorran and Widmer comprised the next bunch, making it five different makes in the first seven places; unfortunately McMorran who had a torrid time in Classic Racing Car qualifying, started F3 qualifying well fired up and had a major off at Charlies doing substantial damage to the Crossle. Happily Paul was unhurt and headed off to Zandvoort to race his Formula Ford, the Crossle will be returning to the boys at Rory’s Wood for attention and will no doubt come back as competitive as usual. The ever improving Jim Chapman in the Lotus 59 was closely grouped with Bosson and Holland in their Brabhams who in turn were a couple of seconds ahead of Wilkinson and Counsell. Keith Messer was next up in the Vesey ahead of the Mallard/Winchester Mallock and Tim Kary making his first appearance in his Brabham BT28; the two Tecnos of O’Nion and Froude were evenly matched ahead of European visitors Poponcini and Bergs who were followed by Peter Williams. The perpetually unlucky Grant Saunders lost oil pressure on his March so was out for the weekend.

Eighteen cars assembled for the first Justin Haler Trophy race, sadly missing were Jim Chapman and Ian Bankhurst who had problems in the first Classic Racing Car round, and were out for the weekend.

Bancroft, Methley and Derossi pulled clear at the start, but on the first lap Bancroft lost the Chevron, Methley took to the grass in avoidance and Derossi took the lead only to be passed by Methley as they started the third lap. Meantime Bancroft had the Chevron well wound up as he chased the leaders, first passing Derossi and then Methley to take a well deserved victory; behind this frantic action Stuart Tizzard had a good run to fourth ahead of Chris Holland who gradually drew away from Bosson in the BT28. Steve Wilkinson and John Counsell had been having a good battle but we lost them both on lap eight, Wilkinson to the tyre wall and Counsell with a broken gear linkage, they had been hotly pursued by Mallard having his first outing in the indecently rapid Mallock which came home seventh. O’Nion was the first of the lapped cars after a lonely race, ahead of Widmer who had spun at the foot of the mountain on lap two causing great excitement and losing a lot of time in the process. Andrew Thorpe in his March had a good run to tenth, and once he had found a way past Bergs Mauro Poponcini caught and passed Froude to come home eleventh. Tim Kary’s Brabham BT28 was starting to run very hot so he eased off to bring it home in one piece, having set a creditable best lap of 1.47.9 some five seconds quicker than qualifying. Keith Messer had his battery go flat so missed the start.

Monday morning Justin Haler’s sister Antoinette, her family and Chris Witty were guests at the meeting to see the same eighteen re-assembled to do battle again, and once more it was Bancroft, Methley and Derossi who led the charge, Derossi was judged to have moved before the red light and received a ten second penalty, which caused some confusion later in the race. The Chevron and the Merlyn were neck and neck until Nigel spun at The Mountain giving Methley a little relief, but Bancroft never let up and was gradually pulling in Methley before another spin at the Mountain and a trip across the grass settled matters in Methley’s favour. Derossi had called in to serve his penalty, unaware that it would be added to his race time, and was waved on by officials before Tizzard could take advantage. Holland and Bosson were again closely matched, Chris again taking the verdict; behind these two Counsell, Wilkinson and Messer were having a stirring time, all three had started from the back of the grid and had worked their way through the field in formation, Messer found a way past Wilkinson and then made a move down the inside of Counsell into Barn, John lost the March and recovered in time for the Wilkinson in his Brabham to arrive on the scene and thump the March’s nose cone.

Nigel Winchester was having his turn in the Mallock which again going well to come home ninth, Thorpe took another tenth after a good run leading home O’Nion and the recovering Counsell. Christopher Widmer was an unlucky thirteenth having had a couple of spins which dropped him right down the field, he led home the remaining finishers, Bergs, Froude, Poponcini and Williams; the only retirement was Kary’s Brabham with severe overheating.

The wisdom of allowing the one litre cars to run on their own was proved by two superb races which provided entertainment throughout the field. Overall winner of The Justin Haler Trophy was David Methley ahead of Nigel Bancroft and Francois Derossi; Nigel Bancroft’s sole consolation for his energetic weekend was possession of a new if somewhat battered lap record of 1.35.904.

The race winners Trophies and the Justin Haler Trophy being presented at the dais by Justin’s sister Antoinette assisted by Chris Witty.

Next stop Silverstone on May 14th.     

Photos courtesy David Marshall except where indicated

Site by Netspin